Sunday, April 25, 2010

Queen is so Non-Gender Specific

IMG_0015

For those of you who don’t know me well…and there may be some guest readers to this edition…it seems that if Cheri and I are getting ready to go on vacation, then I need to fall off my bike. 

There was still enough light Friday evening for us to head out on a ride.  We did a nice 13 mile loop and as I powered to the top of Dugg Hill I  pulled over to watch Cheri surge up the climb.  At the top of the hill is a nice turn-out that provides a great view over the fields of East Woodstock with the church steeple just rising above the trees…a very New England look.  I crossed the road to this turn-out and when I got to the edge realized there was a six inch drop from the road to the packed dirt area.  Slowing my bike I dropped down onto the dirt surface and then needed to turn quickly (or drop off a steep edge into brush and a field). 

Now I am moving very slow…turning left…on loose dirt with a drop to one side and a six inch climb back onto the asphalt on the other.  Since I planned to stop here anyhow, I kicked my right foot out of the pedal clip (when stopping I usually unhitch my right foot first since that is the foot nearest the edge of the road).  When turning left the bike tends to lean in that direction and having kicked out my right foot it continued to move my overall center of gravity in that direction as well (the engineers out there will appreciate this…and I won’t go into angular velocity or centrifugal effects).  Regardless, I now realized that I was fully stopped…leaning left…my left foot still attached to the pedal…and a fall was inevitable.  The photo above shows the greatest part of the ‘seen’ injury (the unseen greater part is my pride) where upon hitting the ground on my left side my loose right leg followed gravity and momentum down and across the front gear sprocket. 

Enough Mundane Info…On to the Important Events

Saturday was time to take Bunco back to the South…or at least southern Connecticut.  Jack (a former Queen and only a little bitter about losing his crown…I’m just saying) and Stephanie Gosselin hosted the next event at their home in North Stonington.  As Consort to the reigning Queen Cheri I took great care in delivering her and the royal jewels to the site.  Upon arrival they were prominently displayed in the main room of the Gosselin Estate.

IMG_0042

 The evening began with appetizers, cocktails and a brief demonstration of the usefulness of a ‘spud-gun’ for planting potatoes and providing fetch opportunities for the dog, Lego.  Although there was a nice outdoor fireplace providing some comfort, the party soon moved inside and proceeded to the main entree.  Stephanie made a large serving of paella for the main course and we settled in for a fine meal.

2010-04-24

…and then the Bunco festivities began…the range of emotions throughout the game was intense.

2010-04-241 

Finally the rounds were completed, the scoring done and Jack and I went into Executive Session to determine the winnings.  There was some discussion among non-winning players that Jack and I may not have been judicious in our choice of most wins trumping a tie for most Buncos, not that we are overly concerned…again, I’m just saying.

IMG_0071 

The votes were in…scores tallied and Jo received an award for the most loses…Drew an award for the most wins…and then it was time for the coronation for the player rolling the most Buncos.





The transition seemed to move smoothly and orderly with Cheri standing regally by the host.





IMG_0066 



And yet it may have been this nexus of Royalty that caused the calamity to follow…the crown fell to the floor, jewels and dice scattered…



IMG_0069



Eventually Queen Mark was able to pull himself together enough for the official picture of the coronation.

The Queen is dead…long live the Queen!
IMG_0065 
Then came the moment of transfer…the passing of State from now a former Queen to the new Queen…Queen Mark.  Rare is it that we have three members of the Royal Lineage so involved with the transfer of State.

IMG_0067 
The former Queen worked with the new Queen to gather the crown jewels…and the dignity of the participants.

IMG_0070

The Festivities ended well with all participants enjoying the adventure.  A tentative time in June is being established for Queen Mark to defend his role as the Bunco Queen.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment